.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Been really busy at work these last couple of months.
But happier too.
I am still doing Unix stuff.
Still working with Tivoli (which looks great on resumes)
And now doing much more work in the facilities area.
Also looks great on a resume.

The project managers meet with me and let me know what servers they are gonna order, when they will arrive.
After they arrive, I find shelf space and power space in one of our server rooms, then work with the electricians to install some shelves for me.
I have to give them the measurements and locations of the shelves I need, and which type of shelf. (heavy weight, light-weight, non-slide)
Then I work with the network group to get a network connection drop (cable) done in such and such rack on such and such shelf.
I organize all the groups doing work with this, and then organize the install or load of the box to get done.

I also have this software installed on my desktop that helps me monitor the power levels of our UPS's.
We are running out of power to load on the UPS's so I have been trying to do a balancing act with all the servers.
Getting groups to remove old obsolete boxes and installing more practical boxes to fit their needs.

We have a facilities guy but a getting new server room in another building up and running has been taking up most of his time.
This new server room will solve a lot of the space and power issues we have.

So this kinda work makes me have to get out of hiding from my cube and be a little more visible.
It's been good for me.
It certainly raises my value, and will hopefully keep me from getting laid off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home