.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Yesterday there was a retirement party for one of the older managers.
I think when I started here over 3 years ago, my boss reported to him.
He was always very cool and laid back. A real gentleman. Very rare.
Just biding his time, not trying to prove anything.
It was a really nice party, I was really happy for him.
He made it. Got out while still being one of the good guys.
You get blacklisted for being a good guy, all the re-orgs take more and more reports away from you. Taking away power and responsibilities. But he still left with great respect from his peers. Never let that shit eat him up. It was a nice spread too. Several people spoke, his wife was there. Several people that left the company even came back just to show their support of him. It was really nice.

After work I went to a volunteer appreciation party for the Humane Society.
Had some snacks there too. I sat down at a table with a nice older couple, a oddball woman, and a young and somewhat attractive couple. I loved the older couple! The guy is the Santa every year at PetsMart. PetsMart provides the camera, film, and suit, and give half of the $10 to the Humane Society. And the older woman does an after school class to teach kids proper care of animals. They even whipped out wallet pics of their Boston Terriers to show me. SO SWEET! The woman of the younger couple just started 3 months ago and her focus is fund-raising. She said she has had many very important people hang up on her. Also a very nice couple.

Oddball woman was a complainer. Not very upbeat. I was saying how happy I was that Riley go adopted again. Then she says, "He came back the other day and they put him down cause he bit me." I was surprised, he did really well with Brad, he jumps, but didn't seem aggressive. But at that point, I was still somewhat open minded, I wasn't there blah blah blah. So okay. Then the director sits down at our table (working the room) and oddball then starts talking about a cat that bit her and how she still has marks from it and just going on and on about it! The director asked her if she reported it to the staff, and she said she didn't. Then the director asked her which cat it was and she told her. I was so mad! I shot out "You are just a regular chew toy aren't you?! It seems like every animal you come in contact with bites you!" In my usual half joking half serious smarminess, and every one chuckled like I was just teasing but I think they all knew. After the older couple got up to leave, then I was ready to leave too. I enjoyed them the most and didnt want to talk to the human chew toy anymore. As I was standing up she starting talking to me, I have no idea what she was saying. Gave her the smile and nod, and then abruptly said "It was really nice meeting you guys, goodnight." I darted out as I heard her mumbling something about leaving to. I was really booking too! She must have chased me out, but luckily I had pulled out my cell phone and dialed Brad by the time she caught up...so too bad, I couldn't talk....on the phone.
Besides her though, I did really enjoy the stories from the other couples.

Tonight I am gonna try to watch the debates.
I usually feel like it's all such bullshit, why should I bother?
I can't believe anything they say anyway.
And also I usually have trouble understanding what they are saying. It's all so cryptic and vague or they use figures that you can't back up and prove. Manager talk. I don't understand it when the guys do it at work either. But I am really going to try. I want to understand. And of course then watch the Daily Show to see what they have to say about it later tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home