.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Monday, June 07, 2004

Had a crappy day.
But it got better, not great....but better.

First I made an error in judgment at work on Friday, deleted some home directories I shouldn't have. Had to restaore them by tape today, since its a new filer and they weren't available on snapshots yet. And it was really the wrong people to do it to. So my boss had "a talk" with me. It was my mistake, I was in error so I felt bad. At the end of "the talk" he said he would talk to me later about it. As I went back to my desk and sat down it hit me. What does "talk about it later" mean? I didn't want to panic all day so I called him. "When you said, "I'll talk to you later", did you mean there is a chance I will get written up about this or there is a chance something worse could happen?" Luckily I was reassured the worse wouldn't happen.

I called Brad at work to let him know that I did something wrong and got a bit of trouble over it. I really felt bad telling him, I don't want him to be worried or disappointed in me. He was really cool, sent me sweet text messages to my cell throughout the day telling me he loves me and was thinking about me.

Then middle of the day the group that sits next to me got a call from a guy wanting to talk to someone in Unix. He sounded like an ass so I tried to avoid it, but I couldn't cause I heard some of the things he said and knew I had info on it. So I joined in on the line with the guy and the helpdesk people that sit near me. The guy went off on me because some of his Unix boxes CPU went to 100% for 10 minutes. I had an approved CMR (change control request) to install some new measureware on all our prod boxes since I had already installed it on our dev boxes 2 weeks ago and that went fine. He told me I needed to call and tell him anytime I wanted to touch their boxes. I told him thats why I did the CMR, to notify everyone, his manager goes to those meetings and if he did would have been aware. Also the package I installed was no hog, the CPU had to be very high to begin with to put it over the top to 100%. He didn't swear at me but was talking to me like a baby, really talking down to me. "Do you understand what I am saying?" and just his tone. He said next time I need to take it a step further and notify him and his manager and kept pressing me to say I understood and agreed with him which I refused to do. This guy is not above me in rank he is an equal. We dont really know each other or done anything together before. It really pushes me over the edge when people talk to me like this, I really can't handle it. Especially when I don't deserve it, I dont mind people yelling at me when I fuck up and have it coming, but this was completely uncalled for and unreasonable.

After we hung up (after I just stopped talking) the 2 helpdesk guys came over to give me sympathy, which was really kind. Told me I should kick his ass, and that they were surprised he looked up from playing his online games long enough to even notice. I went to go talk to my boss about it but he was busy. I vented with an engineer, who said there is no way the package could cause CPU to go to 100% and asked if I told his or my boss yet. It was just nice to vent. I felt really pushed at that point. Heart racing. So I bought a bottle of water and sat outside for a bit. The warm sun help relax my tension. Close my eyes and relax. A little later after I went back in, I told my boss what happened and how over the top I thought it was and how other people heard the conversation and were equally shocked by it. He said he would talk to his boss. He said the guy had a rep for doing that and that it still didn;t make it right and would let his boss handle it. I felt a bit better after that.

Then things started getting better.
A new firewall girl stopped me in the hall to introduce herself to me, saying she had seen me around. Seemed really nice and upbeat.
A manager stopped me in the hall and asked me if I had lost a bunch of weight, which I happily replied I had and thank you for noticing and commenting on it.
The 2nd shift helpdesk supervisor unloaded on me about his problems. Splitting up with wife who has a boyfriend, mother having financial problems and he is loosing weight from not eating and getting sick a lot. I kept telling him he should take advantage of the banks free therapy. Which he replied "yeah we should have". I said, "No, not you and her, if she has a boyfriend it's a little too late for that, I mean for you." I hope he does, he is trying to be the bigger person and he is on the outside but he isnt handling it as well as he thinks he is and thats why he has been so sick and loosing weight.
Then he goes to get coffee, and the other 2nd shift guy comes over. Tries to sell me Amway without saying it was really Amway....so I kept trying to change the subject. "Thats so great you have that going on the side with your wife, something you can do together." to get him to quit telling me about his vitamins and water filters.
Then he unloaded. His wife had a stroke a year and a half ago and cant use the left side of her body. He does her hair and makeup for her. How he misses her, they dont talk like they used to. But at least this guy does use a therapist and knows he needs it.

After talking to those two guys, I ain't got it that bad at all.

Had some Indian food with Brad for dinner, and then picked up stuff at Trader Joes. Fruit leathers, dried apple rings, cheese crackers filled with peanut butter. Snacks for work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home