.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Peak Oil has been on my mind. You should google "peak oil" and read up.
Some many things seem to tie it all together for me.
As I read up on it I think about the 1968 film "2001: A Space Odyssey" and how it was about how we were losing control of our tools. (technology) Produce, consume, and maintain ever increasing amounts of need. Technology feeding on itself and the tremendous amounts of resources that are wasted. Then over the weekend Brad and I watched " Koyaanisqatsi" (Life out of Balance) a film from 1983. No words, script, just visuals that left me with the same feelings. (I feel this part sounds silly...) But then on Saturday night, the new Little House on the Praire was on and we watched that too. And all that just has really stuck out in my mind, all tying together. Using up our resources. Where is this going put us? Going back to being community based, living everything out more locally, if not entirely. Becoming a more viable member of a community, not as anonymous and nonstop "infotainment" based. A lot of this reminds me of the Y2K fears. A lot made into nothing. But it still needs to be considered, it's a reasonable possibility and concern.


Articles:

BBC: Study highlights global decline

The Guardian: Two-thirds of world's resources 'used up'

ZNet:The Energy Crunch to Come

Rolling Stone: James Howard Kunstler

VHeadline.com:Roscoe Bartlett: Peak oil presentation in the US Congress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home