.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Social update:
Since we been back from Ohio, I have been keeping pretty busy.
Went to my first Bunco party on Tuesday, I'm on the sub list for 2 different groups.
It's a dice game, I have never played before.
Pretty easy, no skill or strategy needed.
Hit the margaritas as soon as I got there, and it hit me pretty good.
Didn't embarrass myself, just loosened up.
The house that held it was of course immaculate, and all the other ladies (yes, ladies) were commenting on how the host already had out her fall stuff and how they needed to do the same, switch wreaths from their summer to fall ones. Everyone was nice and approachable, and fairly laid back.
I had a good time, and met some new people. Lasted from 7 until about 10:30.

Weds - Got a waxing, my haircut (the Prince Valiant cut), therapy appt, and then picked Brad up after he got off work to take the train downtown to see Cat Power at the Vic. Brad had listened to a few mp3's and watching some of her videos on You Tube I had sent him, and thought he might like it too. We had dinner at Clarke's Diner, then walked around the corner to the theater.
The show started a little late. Brad really liked the backup band Memphis Rhythm Band, liked Cat's quirkiness, her personality really comes through. The show is considered unprofessional to some, she stops short on songs, gets bored and goes into another, plays with the equipment and talks. But we took it as part of the show, if we wanted just music we could listen to her cd at home.

Saturday we got up early to watch a cricket game. A woman, Brad works with, husband plays in a league. The game is confusing, Brad had a much better grasp of what was going on than I did. But it was nice hanging out with a work friend of his, cheering on her husbands team, meeting and spending time with her mother visiting from India.









Then later that night we had our first neighborhood couples party to attend. It's called the Gourmet Club. Saturday was the kickoff. About 30 other couples were all at another super amazing house that was too damn fabulous. We each brought a bottle of wine and an appetizer, and were served 4 different cordials that were just to strong for me, but I ate the raspberries and strawberries :)

The whole thing went really well. The house was a bit stuffy at first, so Brad and I made our way outside to the backyard. He had a gorgeous koi pond, stones everywhere, waterfall, and fire pit. Everyone was really friendly with us, came up, started conversations, made it really easy. One of the couples that sat by me live just around the corner, and are talking about having us over, and even more WOW...they have a trampoline and said I can play anytime!! So this is just what we have been looking for, an opportunity to get to know people close by that we can do things with.
Got home and just stayed up too late (3 for me) watching Dog The Bounty Hunter marathons and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

This week I don't have any outings planned, but already looking busy the week after.
Shishie will be back for a few days.
A program through the library about Herbert Hoover and his wife during the Great Depression on the 25th.
My first book club meeting on the 26th. I read the book My Sisters Keeper during our Ohio travel for this.
Another thing at the library on the 27th, French vocalist Claudia Hommel performing.
Leslie and the Lys are playing at Abbey Pub on the 29th
Then that weekend is the Long Grove Apple Fest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home