.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Thursday, October 30, 2003

Been busy today, just getting a chance to post a bit from last night.

Went to a book reading at Barbara's Book Store on Wells. Daphne Gottlieb was reading from her recent book Final Girl. We have some mutual friends, but it was our first time meeting. Liza was there, and some new people I met too.

I hadn't been to a poetry reading before. The first couple things she read totally didnt register with me, I had trouble adjusting to the rhythm of them. Its not the same as reading a short story, and I'm just not used to it.
But then she read one about a babysitter and one called slut, and I heard the words and followed much better. I enjoyed them.
She read one about getting her mother dressed. Her mother passed away last year. That one was tough, I tried to think about baseball and not get weepy when I felt it coming on. But I let 2 slip out down my cheek, so I just sat still and waited for them to dry up.
The book was written over a span of a couple years, a lot of the tone changed when her thoughts were more of her mother towards the ending.
baseball..baseball...baseball

I took a few shots, nothing much.


After the reading we went across the street to Old Town Pub. I had fish & chips! :) and caught a late train home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home