.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Monday, August 25, 2003

I HATE LONG HALLWAYS!
I have a long hallway to the bathroom at work, and a long hallway from the elevator to the door I go in.

When a person is at the other end of the hall. We are obligated to smile, say hello, comment on the weather or day of the week. I HATE THAT.
I even hate it when nothing is said and we are both wondering if we are an asshole for not saying anything.
I hate rhetorical questions like "how are you", I know to always say fine so we both can keep moving on. Or when some guy makes a lame comment about "hump day" "long week" or "yay its friday", then so I am not perceived as a bitch I have to nod in agreement slightly chuckling with at least a half to full smile.
I HATE FORCED CONVERSATION!
I HATE THE PRESSURE!!

When we walk by and say something or not, I make one of my usual overly animated grimaces after we pass. Squinching up my eyes as if in pain.

Short halls are fine, you dont have the long time to be aware of another presence and forced into acknowledge them. You can get away with it. But in the long halls, you have the long walk facing each other. UGH!!

I have actually come out of the bathroom, and hid in the nook of another doorway seeing someone else in the hall. Cause if they saw me, they might feel obligated to hold the door for me, which would then obligate me to walking fast or a light jog so as to not hold them up. Then of course we would be obligated into some comment of sorts...a simple "thanks" and "you're welcome" just won't do!
So I hide like an idiot. Or actually turn the corner like I am going the other way instead of the way of the person, giving them time to pass before I turn around and go where I was really going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home