.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Friday, January 09, 2004

I got into an argument yesterday at work.
I feel pretty good about it.
He had it coming, I had the upper hand and sounded better.
I think all that overheard the match would agree.

This guy in my group always has a snotty attitude with me.
If I ask him a question, instead of answering, he asks me 20 questions.
He seems to go out of his way to put me down and make a big stink about anything I do wrong or questionable.

So yesterday a questionable situation came up. He wanted to know why I closed some ticket, and of course he cc'd a bunch of people on it. At first I was going to completely ignore it and blow it off. Because no one else gave a damn except him. But then decided to go over to his desk and address it directly. I told him why, he started telling me I should have this and I should have that. And I told him I completely disagree with him.

Then he got up to walk away, I told him to come back and sit down, there was more I wanted to address than just this situation. Of course he stopped, but refused to sit, and instead stood with his arms crossed. (big baby)

I told him he seems to have some animosity towards me and wanted to know why. He denied it. I told him I respected him and wanted his help if he was willing to give it, but whenever he seemed to be saying anything to me its wasnt helpful, it was just to put me down or mount me publicly. I asked if him if feels competitive with me. Which really pissed him off. (haha) And he started talking really loud saying "I DO NOT FEEL COMPETITIVE WITH YOU!". I told him that was good, since there was no reason for him to feel that way (with my concerned anchor person look on my face).

Then he started yelling that he was always cleaning up my messes and was tired of it. I told him he didnt have to do it, just send it back to me if thats the case. "No, no...I'll do it". "So then, you don't HAVE to, you CHOOSE to". I told him I also worked tickets of his where people said the problem wasnt resolved. But instead of "grandstanding", I just fixed the problem and closed the ticket back up. I think anyone else on our team would have reacted the same way. Something is wrong, fix it. No need to make an issue out of it. Thats what a team is for. He vehemently denied ever having done any ticket or situation ever wrong over and over and told me to show him one ticket where that was the case. I said "Fine, from now on I will."

But then the real reason came out of his mouth. He was saying how he vividly remembers when I was in training, and was sitting with him and I didn't take any notes. Which made me laugh, and pissed him off. "That was 3 years ago...I cant believe you are holding a grudge over that!" I think he realized how stupid that sounded so then went back to the "I am tired of cleaning up your messes" routine. I didnt take notes because he wasnt saying anything worth taking note of.... but whatever...what an ego!

I told him, he goes out of his way to put me down, no one else does that.I went back and tried to illustrate by using a few of our past issues, and how other team members would have handled it compared to him. He just said "Well that is them". So this is going nowhere. "Fine, I just wanted to address the issue with you...whatever". I walked off, and he went for a smoke. It was very quiet in our area after that. But I think it earned me some respect from the other guys sitting around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home