.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Another sweltering day, and I walked dogs.
I walked Goldie first. Female pit bull. Looks like she had a few litters, and had a lot of scratches on her, they told me she was rescued from being trained for dog fights. She just didn't seem the type. So lovely, leaned into me at all times. I layed down in the grass and she sat down on my stomach, and looked down at me. Full of kisses and lovey doviness. Another dog came by, she was wagging her tail so I slowly let her inch towards the other dog to say "hi". She was wagging her tail the whole time, the dog froze in hesitation then she lunged at the other dog going for the throat. I felt so bad, we got them apart, she had a little blood on her lip, I think she bit her own lip though. And she was still wagging her tail, very pleased and happy like she just did a good thing and thought it would make me happy. I felt so awful.






I walked Crash next. Can't tell in the pictures but he is huge. When he jumps up on me he has to slouch to be face to face with me. Very thin, still growing puppy. Shedding his summer coat, I sat and pulled handfuls of fur from his butt. Like a big Baby Huey.






Then I walked Duncan. Duncan looks a lot like Crash, just as big, but 3 years old (not a pup) and his ears stand up. And also taller than me. I heard the two get along really well too.






A couple other things happened I didn't get shots of. One was psycho dog, a Lab. Psycho is named Liberty of all things. Liberty wanted to tear me apart and taste my blood. As I walked the other dogs near Liberty, I could feel the steam coming from his mouth as he barked and tried to get at me, he sprayed me with spit as he bared his teeth. I tried talking to him a few times, nicely and firmly. Nothing worked, so I let him be. Then as I walked by to put another dog back in, he was being nice, didn't go ape shit like he had been. So I stopped, and he wanted to kiss me, and looked like he really wanted to get out. So I opened his door cautiously, and he gave me a bunch of kisses like he was a completely different dog. So I took him out. He was kissy and nice to the other volunteers too, who were also completely floored by his Jekyll and Hydeness. I kept teasing him saying that he was only kissing me to see how I tasted when he would rip me apart later. But he stayed good. It was weird.

While I was with Psycho, an odd little Corgi jumped into a volunteers car that was sitting in his car and checking his voicemail. They thought it was cute and called me over. The dog wouldn't get out, and just laid down on the passenger side. The dog decided that he was a car dog and this was his place and no one could tell him otherwise. But then when they tried harder to get him out, he growled....he was serious...don't mess with him. So the guy got out of the car, but left the air on for the dog while he went inside to lure the dog out with treats. So Psycho and I sat in the shade and just watched the excitement. The treats didn't work. Didn't want no stinking treats! And now he wouldnt let the guy back in his car either. If anyone came near the door he barked and growled and got really pissed off. So then about 5 people approach the car, with the sticks with ropes on the end and everything. Once the sticks came out, it was over with fairly quickly. I felt bad for the dog though. He went back in quietly after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home