.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Every morning on my way into work, I stop at a nearby hotel that has a Starbucks in it.
Then after a few times I started noticing business groups meeting there eating different sized breakfasts.
So slowly I have eased over into these groups, baby stepping my way in.
One morning I just took a thing of Apple Jacks and took it back to work.
Then another morning, I got a plate of pineapple and a croissant and sat down amid a group and just ate quietly.
But today I went upstairs to another more private area where they had a buffet set up. I looked around the meeting rooms and saw one guy talking on his cell phone and eating. He looked up and nodded at me as he talked. So I didn't even think about it, just got a plate and got some scrambled eggs, french toast and potatoes. Walked in the room and sat down on the far side of the table from him. Yes, obviously I wasn't thinking...but I did.
He was off the phone. He looked at me, so I said "Hi, I'm Sheri", and started eating. His name is Jeff. He asked if I was with the group, and I very insincerely said "Yes", "Really?", "Ok, no. I just wanted some breakfast. I don't eat much."
Which luckily was reasonable enough for him. Turns out he was running the meeting, showed up early and told his people they didn't have to show up until 9. He was born and raised in Chicago, and has 3 girls. He is the regional sales person for Abbott. So we had a nice breakfast together, got to know each other a bit, and then I headed off to work, shook his hand and thanked him for breakfast.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

I haven't figured it out yet, but you are either keeping my young or driving me to an early grave.

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I think I'd be more than a little freaked if a stranger decided to sit at my table. Heck I dont like it when they sit next to me on the train.

1:36 AM

 
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

There was only one table, one of those big long ones, so I sat at the opposite end. I think he wanted to talk, cause he didn't have to.

6:27 AM

 
Blogger Contrary Guy said...

LOL! You can do a movie with Vince Vaughn... "Buffet Crashers"

9:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home