.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Sunday, February 08, 2004

We went to see the dogs yesterday.
I was going to take a couple of weeks off from it but Brad wanted me to go with him so he didn't have to get up by himself. He hates getting out of bed.
Emily, Bernie had gotten adopted.
Tortilla has put on more weight, and his fur on the spots on his head is starting to grow in.

One of the kennel rooms was particularly full of barkers. I walked down the run and they were all worked up and jumping. I got down to one kennel with this huge white shepard mix named Columbus was. He was pressed back against the wall looking super freaked out. Another volunteer told me she took him out for a walk and he didn't do anything but then soon as she put him back he pissed on his food. I went in and sat with him. He wasn't sure about me at first, but seemed like he was making room for me in his kennel to sit. So I made room for him over by me and called him over. He lightened up, came over, still a bit jumpy like when I touched his foot and he must not of seen me going for his foot, but just jumped. No aggressiveness at all. Very aware dog. He liked the petting, but seemed to be very aware of me and my comfort like a good host, I can't even put it in words how he did it. I pulled him into me and hugged and kissed him, held him tight for a couple minutes. Decided to take him out and away from the barking. He was so gentle with me. Didn't pull, and seemed to keep looking over at me as if saying "You doing ok?, You alright?" He looked so beautiful in the snow. His nose is so long, looks like he might have some Great Dane or Collie in him. We stayed out for a long time while Brad walked other dogs. When I went to put im back I walked between him and the other kennels and when he got near his he dove in real quick and laid down. His cage got cleaned up while we were out. Brad went in and sat with him for awhile too before we left.



Jasper is a hound. He growled at both of us when we first got there. I even squatted down with him, but he wanted none of it. Later after walking a couple of dogs Brad went by him and asked him if he wanted to go out and Jasper wanted to go and wasnt growling anymore. Brad said as soon as they got out Jasper was jumping up on him and he thought he was trying to mount him but actually he was just so happy he wanted to jump up and say thanks. He was actually quite lovey, not sure what was up with the growls at first. After Brad told me about him, I went over to see him and went in his kennel with him. He jumped up on me too. But it was weird, when he jumped up I expected to be pushed over but it was like he was barely touching me, not resting his weight on me at all. And he had the loviest eyes!! Whiskers around his eyes looked like extra long eyelashes, all fluttery. He was very sweet.


Zeus was another lover. He has the biggest blockhead! Brad said when other dogs were barking he would cry a bit. He seems totally unaware of his size and how he looks. Just a big sweet baby Huey.


Here is an update picture of Tortilla playing with Brad, and of course I couldnt resist snapping a pic of the sleeping puppies....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home