.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Friday, September 16, 2005

At the Humane Society I volunteer at, they brought in 22 dogs that are Katrina victims last night, so I went in this morning to help out. We've got dogs doubled up in the kennels to house them all, lots more laundry to do, food bowls to clean etc. A lot of the dogs were dirty, but even worse than just being dirty, covered in ticks and fleas, so much so that there was blood on the floor of their kennels. Some of them had already been bathed, and I bathed about 6 of them myself with the flea shampoo. Did several loads of laundry, took several out for walks. A lot of them didn't want to go outside for a walk. Like they didn't want to go outside again for a good long while, they were just so happy to have a nice dry soft blanket that was theirs. They were so tired from the trip and emotions that it all just wore them out. After getting a bath and being fed they just passed out asleep. Some were scared and nervous, and some were bitey, but I just persisted with them , letting them bite me if they wanted, they still got a bath to kill the fleas! Their eyes were so big and sad. Brad and I might go back tonight, and then go again in the morning. They just wanted to be held and soothed.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home