.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Sunday, July 24, 2005

It wasn't very hot yesterday, but sticky..humid. It's gives me headaches.
Charlie Brown was still there, and this time up for adoption, so he passed his tests. Another volunteer got to walking him before me, but I called out to him when I saw him and told him hello. Before I left I went and sat with him in his kennel for a bit, for some love time.

I first walked Valentino, (I like that name) a small Basset mix. He is 1.5 to 2 years old, very happy dog, playful. Likes all attention and touches.





I then walked Tommy. He is now up for adoption too, just like Charlie Brown! He is such a pretty boy.



Next I walked Scout...I like that name too. Golden Retriever. Looks to have some kind of skin condition, his fur was all thinned out in spots. He is still gorgeous though. A great hugger, puts his paws around you. Quite the lover.





Last I walked Studly. I HATE HIS NAME!!! It makes me sad, cause I think of the stud dogs at the breeding places. So I prefer to call him Stanley. He has been there a few weeks, I have been scared of him, so this was my first time walking him. He sits in the back of his kennel and was hard for me to read. Has that junkyard dog look, very compact and muscular, and would just sit back and watch me with no emotion like we both were hesitating and waiting to see what each other would do first. He really surprised me. He was SO submissive and non-threatening. Left slack on the leash too! We sat down in the shade and he immediately rolled over for me to rub his belly. 2 other volunteer girls came over to where we were sitting and brought their dogs too. He was submissive with their dogs, showing them how harmless he was, letting the puppy jump all over him and being so sweet. The girls were surprised too, they also thought he looked scary and he is such a big hearted lover for his tough guy look. I told one of the staff people that maybe they could put another smaller dog or a puppy in the kennel with him to show the people that walk through looking for dogs how sweet he is, cause he isnt getting adopted because he looks scary. And I've seen them do that before with other dogs, they put a big and little dog together and both get snatched up right away. It shows the softer side of the bigger dog. But they said they were in contact with a Pit Bull Rescue about taking him. If people that walked through could see what a gentle giant he really is they would "oohh and ahhh" over his big sweet mug. After we went back inside I cleaned his poor chopped up ears out for him, they were dirty and itchy looking.




Didn't do too much after dogs, due to the headache. Watched a documentary last night "Long Way Home" about life after the holocaust. Had a lot in it I didn't hear about. I just heard "Hooray the war is over, everyone is liberated and all is well". Really good movie.

Just about to go to Panera, for brunch, to hang out and keep out of the heat. Supposed to be disgustingly hot today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home