.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chicago Sheri

Monday, March 27, 2006

Job search moaning and whining....
Feel free to skim past and just look at cute pictures of my family instead from the post before.

It isn't going well.

I had an interview on Thursday, the day I got back from Columbus. It was okay, I might be interested. The interview was weird. I had 3 people interview me at the same time. 2 guys and a girl. The girl is the person I was told to ask for when I got there. She asked me some really difficult questions, like explaining what controls the network, what is kernel and how does it work, what is the difference between swapping and paging and which do I prefer. A lot of those stumped me. They tell you that stuff in the classes but on a day to day basis I don't explain that stuff. Because the girl was asking that line of questions I thought she was the boss. It turns out none of them were. One of the guys said that he felt the same way when he interviewed 2 years ago and he wasn't able to answer until they put him in front of a computer so he could show them what he would do and how. I know my resources, google web groups, unix friends, my O'Reilly books, etc.

Then, they asked me why manhole covers are round.
Without missing a beat I said because the hole is round.
WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! But, what they were looking for, and is also correct, is a circle can't fall into the hole. But I still like my answer...

Then I had an interview on Friday. It was my 4th interview with a company that was moving fast with me. This was my first sales position I applied for. It was doing data center automation. I was excited about it, excited about the money, the travel, the job change, and they seemed really into me and sounded like it was a done deal. They were telling me about sending me to Boston for training and when it started. So I got the wind knocked out of me Friday afternoon when after meeting with the regional guy and a lead guy that I had already interviewed with on the phone, when I found out the regional guy said no, that I didn't seem excited enough. Also, they had me do an online aptitude test. They gave me the wrong test, but I think the one I took was similar to what the wanted just not all of it. They didn't like my test either.

I was really bummed Friday. Now I am better, and thinking about it, what did I do wrong? When he asked if I needed this job I said no. My husband works, no I don't absolutely have to work I just want to. Brad said that was the wrong answer when someone asks that. It could imply I might flake out on them, and maybe why I wasn't excited enough?? And for the test, I answered honestly, and the first thing that came to my mind. I thought those kinds of tests can tell when you are lying or saying what you think they want to hear. It asked me questions like would you rather this or rather that. And when it asked me things like would I rather lead a project or make a painting, I chose the painting. And I also leaned towards the stuff that was helping other people achieve greatness rather than being a leader and accomplishing greatness myself.

Today I had an interview. Well kinda...
I drove out to Palos Hills for another sales job. I couldn't even remember the company and when they contacted me for an interview I assumed they were one of the places I applied to from DICE, but now I think it was just a cold call from a place that scours DICE if the job applies to you or not.
First I was nervous about getting out of my car. I am not one that feels that way easily. But I think being dressed up made me feel more vulnerable and sticky-outish. People were all over the parking lot yelling at each other and hanging around the cars. But I did.
So headed up, felt like everyone was eyeballing me. I went up to the desk, the place looked depressing and dank. A girl in front of me was sent into this room with a big table with lots of people at least 16 sitting at it. I still went on, thinking okay, maybe thats something else. I told her I was there to see Todd, and she signed me in and told me to go sit at the big table for the briefing. I said ok, and then ran out of there as fast as my little mary janes could scurry. I have no idea what all that was for, but wanted no part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home